Helpful info for elementary parents as students come back full-time
All of Ankeny Community School District’s PK-5th grade students returned to learn in person, full time on October 19th. In order to keep our Ankeny students, staff and families safe and healthy, we will be continuing to redefine what a “normal” school day looks like.
We realize families may need to make difficult decisions between sending students to school vs. keeping them home/parent missing work. In order to keep our students and staff as healthy as possible, we ask that you consider these things before sending your child to school.
- If your child complains of any 1 of the following symptoms, please keep them home and contact your health care provider: new cough, shortness of breath, fever of 100.4 or higher, new loss of taste or smell.
- If your child complains of 2 or more of the following symptoms, please keep them home from school: fever, headache, muscle/body aches, fatigue, sore throat, runny nose, congestion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Due to the wide range of signs and symptoms of Covid-19, and for the safety of all, students will need to be sent home if they display these symptoms.
- If your child exhibits these symptoms at school, your child will be taken to a room that has been established for students/staff that are exhibiting Covid-19 related symptoms. This is to ensure safety from other students who would use the nurse’s office for non-Covid related reasons.
- If you are notified by health office staff that your student is ill at school, please plan to pick up your student as soon as possible. We would ask that you also have a back-up plan so that ill students can be picked up as quickly as possible if you are not available.
- We ask that you contact your Primary Health Care provider for more guidance on how to proceed with your student’s health needs prior to returning if your student is sent home. We will provide instructions per Polk County Health Department for proper home isolation and quarantine, if warranted. Students sent home ill will need to be out of school the following day (does not apply if sent home on a Friday) to be monitored. Students may return to school once the presenting symptoms have subsided for 24 hours, if they have an alternate diagnosis from a doctor, or a negative Covid test.
As said many times, this is a fluid and flexible situation that can change at any point. We will continue to work closely with the Polk County Health Department.
If you have questions, please contact your building’s nurse to discuss.
Stay safe and be well!
Rock Creek Picture Re-Takes
Friday, November 6, from 7:30 am – 10:30 am
This is for students who were absent when pictures were taken in September or whose pictures were defective.
- Defective picture retake: The entire package must be returned to school on retake day and handed to the photographer at the time of photo retake.
- Missed picture day and need to order pictures: You will need to complete a picture packet with payment. These items must be presented to the photographer at the time the picture is taken.
- Missed picture day but you do not wish to purchase pictures: Please have your student get their picture taken so that they will be included in the class composite and yearbook. No form is needed.
Order forms are available in the office.
Welcome Interim Superintendent Dr. Azinger
The Ankeny Board of Education is pleased to announce Dr. Al Azinger was unanimously appointed as the Interim Superintendent of Schools for the Ankeny Community School District. Dr. Azinger has significant experience as a secondary and university administrator. He will step in as Interim Superintendent on September 16, 2020 when current Interim Superintendent, Dr. Jen Lindaman will assume her permanent role as Chief Officer of Academic Services for Ankeny Community School District.
“I am thrilled that Dr. Azinger has agreed to serve as the Ankeny Interim Superintendent, his expertise in growing leaders, and his dedication to public education make him the perfect leader for our school district,” stated Dr. Lindaman. “The Ankeny Community Schools values of community, challenge, leadership, excellence and inspiration were exemplified in Dr. Azinger’s responses to our interview teams giving us the utmost confidence in his ability to support our mission: Ankeny Community Schools is unified in its commitment, passion, and vision so every learner is prepared to achieve a lifetime of personal success.”
“The Ankeny School Board is pleased to welcome Dr. Al Azinger for the 2020-2021 school year. We appreciate the experience and depth of knowledge he brings to that role and we look forward to working with him. We are also grateful to Dr. Jen Lindaman for her leadership as she stepped in to temporarily fill that role,” said Lori Lovstad, President, Ankeny Board of Education.
Prior to joining the Ankeny Administrative Team, he served as Dean of the College of Education for Illinois State University. Throughout his years as an educator, he has served as Superintendent of Schools in Lawrence, Kansas and Associate Superintendent in Iowa City, IA.
Dr. Azinger received his Bachelor of Arts from Northeast Missouri State. He also holds a Master of Arts in Educational Administration from Western Illinois University; and a Doctorate of Education from University of Iowa.
“It’s an exciting opportunity,” stated Dr. Azinger. “I’m looking forward to working to maintain the high quality of education represented in Ankeny Schools during this transition.”
Dr. Azinger has strong ties to Ankeny and the school district. His daughter’s family calls Ankeny home and his three grandchildren are currently attending Ankeny schools.
Join Us For Our First RC Zoom PTO Meeting!
Hello Rock Creek Families!!
We hope everyone had a wonderful start to the school year! This year we are planning to hold all our PTO meetings via Zoom vs. in person.
Our first meeting will be Tuesday, September 8th, at 7pm.
Below is the link for the meeting. We hope you can join us!
Please reach out if you have any questions.
Have a great week!
Your Rock Creek PTO
|Grade Level||M, T, TH, F||Wednesday|
|Elementary (K-5)||7:55 a.m. – 2:55 p.m.||10:10 a.m. – 2:55 p.m.|
Mark your calendar and bring your smile! Rock Creek Fall pictures will be taken:
- GROUP 1: Monday, September 21, from 7:30 am – 12:00 pm
- GROUP 2: Friday, September 25, from 7:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Picture packets will be sent home with students one week prior to picture day.
- Payment is to be received the day of pictures. You may choose to purchase with cash, check, or online. Online purchase is recommended.
- Each student needs an envelope with their information filled out to hand to the photographer as their picture is taken if they are purchasing pictures.
- Students should have their picture taken even if pictures are not purchased.
- You may choose to send the order envelope prior to picture day. Please have your student hand it in to their classroom teacher to hold.
If a student is absent on picture day, they will be able to have their picture taken on retake day.
Rock Creek retake day:
- GROUP 1: Monday, November 2, from 7:30 am – 10:30 am
- GROUP 2: Friday, November 6, from 7:30 am – 10:30 am
Fall Pictures: Remote Learners
We will plan to do school pictures in just the spring for our remote learners, hoping circumstances will be different. In the event they are not, this also gives us additional time to prepare other plans
Reminders for the Start of the School Year
Here are some reminders and important information regarding the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
Click here to read instructions on how to take virtual attendance for both remote and hybrid learners.
Media Center Message
Click here to see a message from your media center.
Hybrid Learning Model
The final Hybrid Learning model schedule for the 2020-2021 school year has been selected. See the attached schedule, which is the Set 2-Day Schedule with Alternating Wednesdays.
The survey results were:
Model 1 (Alternating Days): 35.15%
Model 2 (Set 2-Day Schedule with Alternating Wednesdays): 64.85%
The final results of the survey were:
- Model 1 (Alternating Days): 35.15%
- Model 2 (Set 2-Day Schedule with Alternating Wednesdays): 64.85%